Barbara Krahé is Professor of Social Psychology at the University of Potsdam, Germany. Her main research interests lie in the area of applied social psychology, in particular aggression research (sexual aggression, media violence and aggression; driving aggression) and social cognition research applied to legal decision-making (rape myths and biases in judgements about sexual assault). Her research has been funded by the German Research Foundation and the European Agency for Health and Consumers and conducted in collaboration with colleagues at the University of Sussex, the University of Michigan, and the Warsaw School of Social Psychology. She is Associate Editor of Aggressive Behavior and editorial board member of the International Journal of Conflict and Violence, the Journal of Aggression, Conflict and Peace Research, and the Journal of Community and Applied Social Psychology. She is a Fellow of the British Psychological Society and a member of the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities.
- Aggression, Conflict, Peace
- Applied Social Psychology
- Causal Attribution
- Gender Psychology
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Sexuality, Sexual Orientation
- Krahé, B. (2013). The social psychology of aggression (2nd ed.). Hove: psychology Press.
- Temkin, J., & Krahé, B. (2008). Sexual assault and the justice gap: A question of attitude. Oxford, UK: Hart.
- Prot, S., Gentile, D. A., Anderson, C. A., Suzuki, K., Swing, E., Lim, K. M., Horiuchi, Y., Jelic, M., Krahé, B., Liuqing, W., Liau, A., Khoo, A., Petrescu, P. D., Sakamoto, A., Tajima, S.., Toma, R., Warburton, W., Zhang, X.-M. & Lam, B. C. P. 2014). Long-term relations between prosocial media use, empathy, and prosocial behavior. Psychological Science, 25, 358-368.
- Krahé, B. (2014). Media violence use as a risk factor for aggressive behaviour in adolescence. European Review of Social Psychology, 25, 71-106.
- Krahé, B., & Berger, A. (2013). Men and women as perpetrators and victims of sexual aggression in heterosexual and same-sex encounters: A study of first-year college students in Germany. Aggressive Behavior, 39, 391-404.
- Krahé, B., Möller, I., Berger, A., & Felber, J. (2011). Repression vs. sensitization in response to media violence as predictors of cognitive avoidance and vigilance. Journal of Personality, 78, 168-185.
- Krahé, B., Möller, I., Huesmann, L. R., Kirwil, L., Felber, J., & Berger, A. (2011). Desensitization to media violence: Antecedents, consequences, and content specificity. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 100, 630-646.
- Bieneck, S., & Krahé, B. (2011). Blaming the victim and exonerating the perpetrator in cases of rape and robbery: Is there a double standard? Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 25, 1785-1797.
- Krahé, B., & Möller, I. (2010). Longitudinal effects of media violence on aggression and empathy among German adolescents. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 31, 401-409.
- Krahé, B., & Knappert, L. (2009). A group-randomized evaluation of a theatre-based sexual abuse prevention programme for primary school children in Germany. Journal of Community and Applied Social Psychology, 19, 321-329.
- Krahé, B., Becker, J., & Zöllter, J. (2008). Contextual cues as a source of response bias in personality questionnaires: The Case of the NEO-FFI. European Journal of Personality, 22, 655-673.
- Krahé, B., Bieneck, S., & Scheinberger-Olwig, R. (2007). Adolescents' sexual scripts: Schematic representations of consensual and nonconsensual heterosexual interactions. Journal of Sex Research, 44, 316-327.
- Krahé, B., Bieneck, S., & Möller, I. (2005). Understanding gender and intimate partner violence from an international perspective. Sex Roles, 52, 807-827.
- Krahé, B. (2005). Cognitive coping with the threat of rape: Vigilance and cognitive avoidance. Journal of Personality, 73, 609-643.
- Krahé, B, Waizenhöfer, E., & Möller, I. (2003). Women's sexual aggression against men: Prevalence and predictors. Sex Roles, 49, 219-232.
- Krahé, B., Scheinberger-Olwig, R., & Bieneck, S. (2003) Men's reports of nonconsensual sexual interactions with women: Prevalence and impact. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 32, 165-175.
- Krahé, B., Scheinberger-Olwig, R., & Schütze, S. (2001). Risk factors of sexual aggression and victimization among homosexual men. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 31, 1385-1408.
- Krahé, B. (1999). Repression and coping with the threat of rape. European Journal of Personality, 13, 15-26.
Department of Psychology
University of Potsdam
- Phone: ++49-331-977-2877
- Fax: ++49-331-977-2795